[Flashback] Summer 2013 Anime

Flashback Friday is a weekly post where I talk about a book, manga, or anime series which I’ve seen years ago. This is more like me reminiscing on stuff I come across way back then.

Since we're on the second week of the Summer 2014 Anime Season, I decided to make a flashback post of last year’s summer anime :D

AND if you still haven’t seen my watch list this season, here’s my post: click here! I’ll be posting most of my first impression posts over at Sekijitsu. So be sure to check them out.

ANYWAY, Summer isn’t really my fave season when it comes to anime. I usually just don’t find most summer anime that enjoyable or worth so much of my time. But either way, I still watch them for the fun of it and for the heck of seeing more stuff.

Summer 2013 anime were totally off my radar and most of which are anime that are still on my backlog list (which I’m really hoping to clear up soon~). NOW let me reminisce on this list (my Summer 2013 anime watch list)!
What I WATCHED: Tamayura ~More Aggressive~, Uchouten Kazoku (Eccentric Family), Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon), Senyuu. 2, Makai Ouji: Devils and Realists, Blood Lad, Hakkenden S2, Servant x Service, Gen’ei wo Kakeru Taiyou

Of my ‘watched’ list, Gin no Saji, Servant x Service, and Uchouten Kazoku were my favorites. Gin no Saji and the notable Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ were shows I truly enjoyed in the season because of their inspirational value (because I LOVE inspirational shows). I even wrote a post about an episode of Tamayura (which is generally about worrying or thinking about your future).


Uchouten Kazoku was more of the creative show for me. It had that pretty simply synopsis but the first episode just blew me away and generally gave me a hint that this show really just have something more under its sleeves. And it did. Uchouten Kazoku didn’t surprise me because I was expecting it to be a great show (but really, I have to watch it again if I have to run over show details because everything is sooo vague in my mind right now). The art wasn’t totally unusual. It’s just beautiful in its own way/style especially that it’s done by P.A. Works. The plot was also, as I mentioned, very simple but the execution was just really great. Quite the peculiar show, in my opinion, yet VERY enjoyable (and nice performance by Sakurai Takahiro there~).

Servant x Service is the surprise for me in this season. When I wrote my Summer 2013 watch list, I placed it under shows I’ll watch ‘when I feel like it’ (the way I call my lists is totally straightforward, hahaha~). I picked it up because bloggers are talking about it. And I did enjoy it. I can even say that it was one of my favorites. It was the funniest show of the season especially with all those really hilarious characters around and that really cute relationship between Lucy and Hasebe.

NOW let me quickly comment on the other shows: Senyuu. S2 (was hilarious but repetitive jokes gets boring. NakaYuu is pretty damn great though~), Makai Ouji (too many bishies, boring story, I struggled to finished it), Hakkenden S2 (so-so, I was honestly fond of this series), Gen’ei wo Kakeru Taiyou (BAD. NO ONE SHOULD WATCH THIS STUFF. TRYING-HARD MADOKA SHOW. LiSA’s song was good though~), Blood Lad (really hilarious show, gets a bit serious but still pretty good, and amazing performance by Ohsaka Ryota :D)

What I STILL Haven’t Finished: Monogatari Series: Second Season, Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku, GATCHAMAN Crowds

Kitakubu… has been on my ‘on-hold’ list after I watched its first episode generally because it bored me. But since it’s slice of life-comedy (but sadly all-girls… so technically it’s a cute-girls-doing-cute-things show), I still want to give it a try one of these days…

Both Monogatari and GATCHAMAN Crowds were held off on the last few episodes (around 3-4 for Monogatari and 2 eps for GATCHAMAN). And oddly enough, I can’t find the motivation to watch the last few episodes of these shows. Motivational words, anyone?

What I DROPPED WITHOUT WATCHING: BROTHERS CONFLICT, Kimi no Iru Machi

What I still have on my BACKLOG: Danganronpa, FREE!, WataMote, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Stella Jogakuin…, Kaminomi S3, Kiniro Mosaic, LOVE LAB, Chou Jigen Game Neptune, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Fantasista Doll

A bit huge list for a single season. I’m pretty sure KamiNai and WataMote are a must-watch since a nice amount of people were raving about those shows as the season goes on last year. I’m still hesitant on picking up FREE! because I’m NOT that kind of fujoshi (okay, so technically I’m NOT fujoshi). I’d rather watch LOVE STAGE!! which is a straightforward shounen ai show than watch this KyoAni guys play fan service. Other than those few, these shows aren’t exactly interesting to watch in my opinion… must be the reason why I have them in this list anyway…

*             *             *

What do you think of 2013’s summer anime lineup? What were you favorite anime aired in that season? What series surprised or disappointed you?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...